Teachers from Overseas come to the UK primarily to travel and explore what Europe has to offer and to try new experiences teaching in different multicultural schools.  Supply teaching enables teachers from other countries to pick and choose where they work and what subjects and key stages they wish to teach.

All personnel that work with children must have a DBS.  For an explanation on DBS’s please click this link: https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview you can only apply for a DBS  through a registered body (such as a teacher supply agency).  Once you have a DBS it is transferable (or portable) as long as you keep up the yearly subscription, which, at present is £13 per year, whoever applies for your DBS will receive a notification of renewal and you should be notified prior to expiry.  

Allow yourself plenty of time to adjust, homesickness can be difficult to deal with when once you’ve arrived in the UK, try and stay positive and investigate what’s happening and enroll in local activities or events so that you can quickly hook up with like minded people.  Making friends is the best way to stay positive and share your experiences. 

Living and teaching in London and in inner cities can be challenging: adjusting to a different currency; finding a decent place to live; making friends; finding the right agency; adjusting to new behaviour management strategies; understanding the transport system – all of theses things can be overwhelming when you first arrive, but you’ll soon get the hang of it – thousands do!  Remember you are not alone, your agency are there if you need help or just want to talk about any problems or issues you may have.

London may seem like a big place when you first arrive, but you’ll soon realise with the London underground system, getting about is easy (however, sometimes it is quicker to walk then take the tube or the bus)!

Winter can be a tough gig in the UK for teachers from Australia and New Zealand, the UK suffers cold and wet weather which can be difficult for some to manage.  However, Christmas in London and in cities around the UK can be extremely fun and lively!   There are approximately thirteen weeks holiday in the UK’s academic year which allows you plenty of time to explore, have fun and immerse yourself in the UK’s culture and travel Europe.

RMTA recommends ‘Timeout’, it’s a great magazine that gives information on gigs, nightlife, bars, bands etc.

Many supply teachers have a UK ‘bucket list’ – what’s on yours? We’d love to share your personal ‘bucket list’ or any helpful advice you’d like to share regarding your experiences of when you first arrived in the UK.  Email us and we’ll put it on our Blog!

Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *